Health Risks of Flies
Flies are a nuisance pest, particularly in the warmer months of the year, but many people are not aware of the health risks of diseases from flies. This is why our team of experts at Premier Environmental Ltd have put together this blog post on the health risks flies pose and what you can do to combat this.
Flies often become contaminated with over 100 pathogens that can cause human disease. This is partly down to them hatching and feeding on, rubbish, excrement and decaying organic matter. When flies move between contaminated and clean surfaces they transfer these harmful pathogens.
It is not known to what extent these pathogens can be transmitted to people and lead to development of disease, however there is evidence to back up they flies do play a significant role in the development of certain infections.
Diseases from Flies
Illnesses transferred by flies include:
• Salmonella: Symptoms of this include, fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal cramps.
• E.coli: Most strains are harmless, however some can cause serious food poisoning.
• Cryptosporidium protozoa: This can cause diarrhoea and gastrointestinal illness.
• Shigellosis: Sometimes known as bacillary dysentery – symptoms can start from abdominal discomfort leading up to dysentery characterised by cramps and diarrhoea.
• Bacteria resistant to some antibiotics
• Eggs and cysts of roundworms and flatworms
• Myiasis: infestation of human or animal tissue with fly larvae, this is usually down to eating food contaminated with maggots.
Protection from Fly Disease
To avoid falling victim to one of these awful illnesses spread by flies you can protect your family by having fly screen fitted to your windows and doors. This way you can have a nice fresh breeze circulating through your home whist keeping flies out! All of our screens at Premier Environmental Ltd are fully bespoke and made to measure so no matter what shape or size windows and doors you have you can benefit from or screens.
For more information on fly screens or help picking the best screen for your property then contact Premier Environmental Ltd today on – 01254 386776
- Health Risks of Flies March 2, 2018
- How Fly Screens & Insect Screens Protect Your Business November 27, 2017
- Flyscreens Protecting you from diseases March 13, 2017
- The Common Types of Fly Screens Suitable for Domestic Use December 22, 2016
- How to Guard Against Flies December 19, 2016